Soroptimist International President Ann Garvie is launching her December 10 Appeal, See Solar, Cook Solar, which will support Soroptimist projects all over the world providing education and solar solutions to women.
“Can you imagine finding time to earn your living if you had to spend hours every day collecting firewood? Or how you would study with no electric light in the evening? One quarter of the world’s population do not have reliable access to electricity; 70% of these are women and girls living in developing countries.”
— Soroptimist International President Ann Garvie, 2013-2015
The Soroptimist International President’s December 10th Appeal was the brainchild of Catharine Salt in 1982, the first Scottish President of Soroptimist International.
The appeal has been embraced and supported by Soroptimists from all four Federations to enable, empower and engage women and girls in primary education and lifelong learning.
By financing green solar power and promoting and enabling education and lifelong learning for women and girls, we will help many more women and girls to fulfil their dreams.
By increasing their access to solar energy, the projects will provide women and girls with:
- Increased time to pursue other activities
- Ability to read and study at night
- Ability to undertake income generating activities at night
- Health benefits (decreased access to harmful smoke)
- Increased access to health services (powered by renewable energy)
- Water purification
- New jobs and areas of employment
- Decreased risk of violence with increased lighting, particularly in refugee camps and other notably dangerous areas
- Increased communications and access to information (mobile phone chargers, radios, etc.)