Soroptimist International will be attending the 65th Annual UN Conference for Non-Governmental Organizations next week for the needs of women and girls
A Soroptimist International delegation will be speaking up for women and girls at the UN DPI/NGO Conference next week.
The theme of the 63rd UN DPI/NGO Conference is Advance Global Health, Achieve the Millennium Development Goals. The conference is an annual event, run in partnership between the United Nations Department of Public Information, the Australian Government and the worldwide NGO community. The dates of the conference are the 30th of August to the 1st of September.
Soroptimist International is urging action on five key priority areas for the post-2015 agenda to improve the lives of women and girls, and societies as a whole:
- improving data collection, including disaggregation of data on all targets and indicators by sex – we know that what you measure affects what you do, and true achievement of the new set of goals will only be realised when there is gender parity across the entire set;
- working with men and boys as allies to achieve gender equality- community-wide transformation is essential;
- addressing violence against women and ensuring that this is measured in a progressive and reliable way, not just through tracking of reported incidents;
- developing accountability mechanisms;
- ensuring gender-responsive budgeting.
The film from 2010 introduces the UN DPI/NGO conference:
Read about SI’s aims for this year’s event: soroptimistinternational.org