The Women’s Opportunity Awards program was established in 1972 to assist women with primary financial responsibility for their families to obtain the skills training and education necessary to improve their employment status and standard of living. Each year, more than 1,500 women receive more than $1.5 million for their education and training globally. And the program works.
To measure our impact, Soroptimist International of Americas sends surveys to recipients three years after they receive the award. In 2012-2013, survey results showed:
- 100% reported an increase in self-esteem and self-confidence
- 50% reported earning an educational degree/certification
- 50% reported still working towards an educational degree/certificate
- 61% reported securing higher-paying employment
- 72% reported an improved standard of living for themselves and their dependents
- 100% reported serving as a role model for their dependents
Soroptimist International of Vancouver
2014 Annual Awards Luncheon
** You are invited **
enter your RSVP here now
|DATE: SUNDAY, APRIL 27, 2014||TIME: 12:00 – 3:00 P.M.|
|PLACE: BROCK HOUSE RESTAURANT||PRICE: $40|
|Annual Awards Event is honouring the recipients of|
|Women’s Opportunity Awards||Violet Richardson Awards||Helen McCrae Awards|
To be eligible for the Women’s Opportunity Award, you must:
- Be a woman with primary financial responsibility for supporting your family (including children, spouse, siblings and/or parents);
- Attend or have been accepted to a vocational/skills training program, or an undergraduate degree program;
- Have financial need;
- Be motivated to achieve your educational and career goals;
- Reside or be attending post secondary in the City of Vancouver.
Previous Women’s Opportunity Awards recipients are ineligible to apply. Women who already have an undergraduate degree are ineligible to apply. Soroptimists, employees of Soroptimist, and the immediate families of both are ineligible to apply.
How to Apply:
Complete the application
- Apply Online,
- By Email, or
- By Postal Service
Obtain 2 References
- DOWNLOAD Reference Form in Writable pdf
- You will need two different people (NOT related to you) to fill out the reference form. Please email this form to your references and request that they email it back to you when complete.
Start your application process
- START YOUR APPLICATION PROCESS HERE
- Applications submitted directly to Soroptimist headquarters will not be considered. Award recipients will be notified between February and March. Not all applicants to the program will be selected as recipients.
- Please contact Ms. Pat McKenzie for questions you have.
- Application and references must be received by February 1, 2014.